Isopropanol, also known as isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol, is a colorless liquid with a strong odor. It is a versatile solvent with a wide range of applications in various industries. Here are a few significant uses:
- 1. Pharmaceuticals: Isopropanol is used as a solvent and disinfectant in the pharmaceutical industry. It is used in the manufacture of many medicines and is a common ingredient in antiseptics, disinfectants, and hand sanitizers.
- 2. Cosmetics and Personal Care: In the personal care industry, isopropanol is used in the formulation of various cosmetic and beautifying products, including skin cleansers, nail polish removers, and body lotions.
- 3. Printing Industry: Isopropanol is utilized for making printing plate solutions and inks in the printing industry due to its effective cleaning properties.
- 4. Electronics Industry: Isopropanol is widely used for cleaning electronic components as it quickly evaporates and leaves no trace.
- 5. Paints and Coatings: Isopropanol is used as a solvent in the manufacture of paints and coatings due to its ability to dissolve a variety of non-polar substances.
- 6. Chemical Industry: Isopropanol is used as a chemical intermediate and solvent in the manufacture of other chemicals.
- 7. Household Cleaning: It’s commonly used in household cleaners for its ability to kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Despite its numerous uses, it’s important to note that isopropanol is flammable and can be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Care should be taken during its storage and use.